Thursday, October 9, 2008

An Unlikely Story!

Last night we roasted a peacock in our fireplace!!!! What?????? You say!!! It's true!!
About a month ago a beautiful peacock appeared on my back patio. He wandered around
the back yard & would keep coming back to my sliding glass window & I was quite enjoying
his beauty & presence. I thought he'd go back home after investigating awhile, but he kinda
stayed around so I fed him some scraps. He kinda reminded me of the several beautiful peacocks that wandered around the yard at Uncle D.S.'s big Ranch House on his ranch where my Dad worked & we'd visited & stayed many times. Then one day he sorta dissappeared & I didn't
see him around anymore. Well later on I started hearing this scraping noise around the
fireplace area & mentioned it to Kelly several times. I thought the squirrels were making
nests or playing under the eaves again. Well vacation time came & went & we had Shaun
walking through the house a couple of times while we were gone. He didn't mention anything
unusual. Well about a week after our return I walked into the house & it smelled & I started
checking things. The next day worse & 3rd day, my what a stench!!!! It was hitting us like
a wall!! After checking everything we could think of, I said a squirrel must of died & you
need to check out the garage & attic. After not coming up with anything, Kelly happened
to mention to me that he had seen the peacock roosting on our antenna several times &
couldn't figure out why he did'nt roost in the big tree with all it's branches!! I didn't know they could fly that high! I'd only seen them sit on a fence. That clinched
it & I said we need to look up the chimney!! Sure enough he found a peacock feather!!
And the smell confirmed it! Oh my he must of perched on the edge of the chimney & the
wind knocked him off balance & he fell down the chimney & couldn't get out! I'm surprized
he didn't squawk! Poor fellow he died there. I just can't understand why we didn't smell
it before we left on vacation & why it didn't start to smell until a week and a bit after
vacation!! Either he was up higher & later fell lower when he started to decay!! But thank
heaven we were blessed or we would of had a worse problem!! Somebody was watching out
for us. I suggested we turn up
the air & stoke a big fire in the fireplace!! And my what a firrrrrre we made!!! If somebody
would of come by they would of thought we were a bit crazy!!!! I had alot of sweet smelling
candles burning too!! Then latter we opened all the windows & turned on the fans & let
alot of air out & took in alot of fresh air!!!! The trick worked!! Whew, what a blessing!!